Taking care of your health is one of the most important things you can do for yourself. Baylor College of Medicine experts have plenty of tips to help you stay healthy. This month’s Health Hint offers advice on preventing water-borne illnesses from lakes, pools and beaches.
Stay safe by adhering to the following tips:
- Shower, using soap and water, before swimming.
- Take advantage of adult swim time to take young children to the bathroom. Check and change diapers frequently and do so away from the recreational water source.
- Wash hands with soap and water after toilet use and diaper-changing activities. Infants and children who are not toilet trained should use proper fitting swim diapers.
- Wash hands with soap and water before and after consumption of food and drink. Keep food and drink away from the water.
- Keep children in diapers from sitting down in splash pads.”
Dr. Gordon Schutze, professor of pediatrics