Spotlight: Kara Ihedigbo

Every month we focus on an outstanding staff member of the BCM Family. This month, it’s Kara Ihedigbo, with the Office of Diversity and Community Outreach.

Name: Kara Ihedigbo

Title: Senior Project Coordinator

Kara Ihedigbo

Kara Ihedigbo

Department: Office of Diversity and Community Outreach

How long have you been at BCM? Almost 5 years

What’s your favorite thing about working at BCM? My favorite thing about working at BCM is being a part of the BCM family which includes world renowned scientists and physicians, as well as contributing towards the education of and getting to know the next generation of physicians and scientists during their training!

Where were you born? Weymouth, Mass. (slightly south of Boston)

What is your favorite kind of food? Thai Food, although I don’t have it too often, I could eat it every day and be so happy!

What is your favorite restaurant in Houston, and at that restaurant your favorite dish? That’s a hard one, but I will go with anything at Benjy’s brunch because it is always memorable.

What’s on your music playlist? Mostly gospel and worship music or the Lauryn Hill, Jill Scott or Dancehall (reggae) stations on Pandora

What is your dream vacation? The Bahamas

What is your favorite TV show? It depends on the season, but “Game of Thrones” started in April so that is at the top of the list for sure.

Complete this sentence: Most people wouldn’t know that I….am of Haitian descent.

What are some of your personal hobbies? I enjoy writing and doing arts and crafts projects, but I haven’t had much time for that since becoming a mother of two.

Last book you read? “Sandals in the Snow” by Rose Ihedigbo-Franklin, Ph.D. (my mother-in-law)

Last movie you saw? “Fruitvale Station,” which is pretty depressing so I need to hurry up and see another movie!

Any kids? Pets? Yes, both! I have two kids, Isaiah, 3 years, and Sarai, 11 months, and a dog named T.J.

Favorite food at BCM’s Luby’s? The stir-fry and dark chocolate covered cranberries

Favorite BCM/Medical Center hangout? The psuedo-Starbucks on the 3rd floor of Alkek