The 2018 Baylor College of Medicine Alumni Reunion kicked off on Thursday, May 3, with the Alumni Awards and Recognition Dinner at the Four Seasons Hotel. Former and current Baylor faculty and trainees and their family members were in attendance as a total of 15 individuals were awarded.
Dr. Paul Klotman president, CEO and executive dean of Baylor, gave opening remarks and welcomed alumni, faculty and friends to the event.
“Tonight we come together to celebrate the women and men who are leading education, research, healthcare and community service as alumni or faculty members of Baylor. On behalf of the Board of Trustees, the faculty, staff and trainees, thank you for being ambassadors of Baylor College of Medicine,” he said.
Alumni and faculty of the Medical School, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, School of Health Professions and National School of Tropical Medicine were recognized for excellence in achievement and service.
The 2018 Alumni Award Winners:
- Mark Tanner, Ph.D. ’18, Lehmann Outstanding Student Award – Biomedical Sciences
- Jessica D’Souza, Lehmann Outstanding Student Award – Medicine
- Elizabeth Elliott, P.A.-C. ’06, Young Alumnus Award – Health Professions
- Jennifer E. Dietrich, M.D, Res. ’04, Young Alumnus Award – Medicine
- Ellen M. Friedman, M.D., Distinguished Faculty Award
- James L. Phillips, M.D., Distinguished Faculty Award
- Sean McGuire, M.D., Ph.D. ’03, Distinguished Alumnus Award – Biomedical Sciences
- Warren Zimmer, Ph.D. ’85, Distinguished Alumnus Award – Biomedical Sciences
- Dwight M. Deter, P.A.-C. ’76, Distinguished Alumnus Award – Health Professions
- Gary L. Freed, M.D. ’87, M.P.H., Distinguished Alumnus – Medicine
- Philip N. Tsichlis, M.D., Res. ’74, Distinguished Alumnus – Medicine
- Joseph Coselli, M.D. ’82, Distinguished Service Award
- Ronald E. Carver, M.D. ’67, Humanitarian Award
- Edward P. Todd, M.D. ’68 (Deceased), Humanitarian Award
- Carol Baker, M.D. ’68, Lifetime Achievement
Here is what they had to say about their awards.
The reunion weekend continued on Friday and Saturday on the Baylor campus and the Four Seasons, where alumni had the opportunity to hear updates on the college and learn more about current research at Baylor. They also were given the opportunity to tour several centers and labs.