Spotlight: Monica Cantu

Every month we focus on an outstanding staff member of the BCM Family. This month, it’s Monica Cantu with the Department of Neuroscience.

Do you know of a Baylor staff member who exemplifies our values of Respect, Integrity, Innovation, Teamwork and Excellence (RIITE)? Nominate him or her to be featured in Spotlight by emailing Dana Benson at benson@bcm.edu.

Monica Cantu

Monica Cantu

Name: Monica Cantu

Title: Research Administration Supervisor

Department: Neuroscience

How long have you been at BCM? Over 14 years!

What’s your favorite thing about working at BCM? The community, work benefits and various opportunities for growth. I have had the privilege to work alongside many talented professionals over these past years.

Where were you born? I’m a born and raised Houstonian! Apparently I love it so much that I won’t leave!

What is your favorite kind of food? Greek/Mediterranean

What’s on your music playlist? My work playlist consists of classical to keep my focus and Chopin is my favorite! My after work playlist will consist of various tunes – a few favorites are Sia, Tori Kelly, Johnnyswim, Kelly Clarkson, Elevation Worship, Jason Mraz, Lauren Daigle, and I LOVE soundtracks (either movies or musicals).

What is your dream vacation? To visit Australia or New Zealand

What have you binged watched recently? “Castle Rock,” “Dollface,” “Grey’s Anatomy”; “The Crown” will be next!

Complete this sentence: Most people wouldn’t know that I … constantly have a song in my head! I am always humming (sometimes loudly, might I add) and tend to “sing” at home over the most random things as if I were in a musical! Full disclaimer: I do not claim to have a great singing voice!

What are some of your personal hobbies? Going to the movies and playing video games with my son and husband.

Last book you read or podcast you listened to? “The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In in Life and Business” by Charles Duhigg – pretty interesting stuff!

Last movie you saw? “Frozen 2,” which I loved.

Any kids? Pets? Two kids – 19-year-old and 9-year-old who keep things interesting! And no pets.

Favorite BCM/Medical Center hangout? Wherever there is a Starbucks!