Spotlight: Dan Na Luo

Every month we focus on an outstanding staff member of the BCM Family. This month, it’s Dan Na Luo with the Center for Precision Environmental Health.

Do you know of a Baylor staff member who exemplifies our values of Respect, Integrity, Innovation, Teamwork and Excellence (RIITE)? Nominate him or her to be featured in Spotlight by emailing Dana Benson at benson@bcm.edu.

Name: Dan Na Luo

Title: Research Director

Department: Center for Precision Environmental Health

Dan Na Luo

Dan Na Luo

How long have you been at BCM? I joined Baylor in August 2016

What’s your favorite thing about working at BCM? I really appreciate the collaborative spirit at Baylor. It’s remarkable that with any area of health sciences one can think of, there is a leading expert here, just down the hall or a couple buildings away.

Where were you born? Taishan, China

What is your favorite kind of food? Tacos! I could eat Mexican/Tex-Mex every day.

What is your favorite restaurant in Houston, and at that restaurant your favorite dish? My favorite restaurant is Nobie’s – it’s a cozy spot with the best staff. They have an ever-changing menu, but their bolognese, “Nonno’s Pasta,” is always available (in limited quantities) and is super delicious!

What’s on your music playlist? My playlist is pretty mixed, but I’d say it’s predominately hip-hop, R&B and indie. Spotify lists Sturgill Simpson, SZA, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Frank Ocean, and HAIM under “Recently Played.” I also love a good Motown playlist!

What is your dream vacation? Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro is pretty high on my list right now!

What is your favorite TV show? “Black Mirror” on Netflix

Complete this sentence: Most people wouldn’t know that I … worked at a nature center between undergrad and grad school. During my time there, I learned to identify and eradicate invasive plant species, build trails and maintain native plant gardens.

What are some of your personal hobbies? I am addicted to OrangeTheory Fitness, which is a high-intensity cardio and strength-based workout. I also really enjoy reading, cooking and baking.

Last book you read? “A Little Life” by Hanya Yanagihara

Last movie you saw? “Trip to Spain”

Any kids? Pets? No kids or pets.

Favorite food on campus? The Women’s Pavilion café for their fresh and healthy options.

Favorite BCM/Medical Center hangout? I like to meet and catch up with co-workers at the Women’s Pavilion cafe. The facilities are so nice, and it’s usually calmer than other gathering areas in the TMC.