Medical students had the opportunity to highlight their research on a breadth of clinical and basic science topics at the 17th annual Henry J.N. Taub and James K. Alexander Medical Student Research Symposium, held March 9.
In addition, Dr. Huda Zoghbi presented a keynote talk at the symposium on “From Genes to Neural Networks and Disorders of the Nervous System.”
A panel of judges selected winning research in both the basic science and clinical science categories.
First Place (tie)
- Julie Wu, “Identification of Potential Therapeutic Targets for Merkel Cell Carcinoma”; Co-authors Rebecca Simonette, Harrison Nguyen, Peter Rady and Stephen Tyring
- David Evans, “Preclinical Evaluation of an Antibiotic-Eluting, Resorbable Bone Void Filler”; Co-authors Zachary Ferrell, David W. Grainger and Kristofer D. Sinclair
- Mark Michael, “Design Requirements for a Novel, Tethered Capsule Endoscope for Esophageal Cancer Screening in Low Resource Settings”; Co-authors: Jennifer Carns, Alyssa Shapiro, Richard Schwarz, Sharmila Anandasabapathy and Rebecca Richards-Kortum
- Kershena Lioa, “Chick Chorioallantoic Membrane Tumor Model to Assess Efficacy of Chimeric Antigen Receptor (Car) T Cell Therapy”; Co-authors Caroline Porter, Masataka Suzuki and Andrew G. Sikora
- Jaden Kohn, “Factors Associated with Reporting of Professionalism Violations by Medical Students”; Co-authors: Georgene Hergenroeder, Prateek Bhattacharya, George Polson, Philip Lupo and Anne Gill
Second Place (tie)
- Hannah Abrams, “Estimating the Family-Related Costs of an Outpatient Pediatric Complex Disease Encounter”; Co-authors Hayden Leeds, Paibel Aquayo-Hiraldo, Ricardo Flores, Aisha Jones, Jackson Huyng, Melody Hellsten, and Heidi Russell
- Michael Murri and Saagar Patel, “Refractive Outcomes and Postoperative Complications in Resident Performed Sulcus Intraocular Lenses at Ben Taub General Hospital”; Co-Authors: Shazia F. Ali, Cameron Clarke, Jonathon Kim, Mitchell P. Weikert and Zaina Al-Mohtaseb
Third place (tie)
- Matthew Cherches, Zachary Solomon and Kristin Pascoe, “Men with Sperm Aneuploidy: Genetic Outcomes of Conception, Pregnancy Outcomes and General Health.” Co-Authors: Sohum Shah, Taylor P. Kohn, Alexander W. Pastuszak, Larry I. Lipshultz, and Dolores J. Lamb
- Kavin Kanthasamy, “Rates, Risk and Predictors of Barrett’s Esophagus Recurrence After Radiofrequency Ablation in a Community Practice Setting: a National Veterans Cohort Study”; Co-authors: Mimi C. Tan, Allison G. Yeh, Daniel Kil, Lisa Pompeii, Xiaoying Yu, Hashem B. El-Serag and Aaron P Thrift