Spotlight: Dawn Thomas

Every month we focus on an outstanding staff member of the BCM Family. This month, it’s Dawn Thomas with the Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center.

Do you know of a Baylor staff member who exemplifies our values of Respect, Integrity, Innovation, Teamwork and Excellence (RIITE)? Nominate him or her to be featured in Spotlight by emailing Dana Benson at benson@bcm.edu.

Dawn Thomas

Dawn Thomas

Name: Dawn Thomas

Title: Senior Administrative Coordinator

Department: Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center, Cancer Prevention & Population Sciences group

How long have you been at BCM? 9 years

What’s your favorite thing about working at BCM? The people I work with and the genuine concern for each other’s wellbeing.

Where were you born? Grafton, N.D.

What is your favorite kind of food? Depends on where I am; if I am here in Houston – Mexican food, if I am at home in North Dakota – lefse

What is your favorite restaurant in Houston, and at that restaurant your favorite dish? El Tiempo Cantina, the one off of Richmond – fajitas

What’s on your music playlist? I love all music – country, pop, rock, hip hop, 50s, jazz … everything!

What is your dream vacation? Any place tropical! And with a beach.

What is your favorite TV show? Usually the television watches me, but I must confess I love to watch “The Young and the Restless” at 6 p.m.

Complete this sentence: Most people wouldn’t know that I … love to be outdoors! Walking, mowing the lawn, anything! And people find it funny when I tell them I lived in Fargo, N.D., before moving here (and the movie “Fargo” was filmed in Brainerd, Minn., not in Fargo.)

What are some of your personal hobbies? I like to make paper crafts, from greeting cards to gift bags.

Last book you read? “Lion’s Busy Day,” a book for my great nephew. I read so much I forget the names of the books on my iPad as soon as I’m done.

Last movie you saw? Right now I am watching “Ricki and the Flash” – it’s pretty good

Any kids? Pets? Two grown children Josh (26) and Ashley (23) – both live in Minnesota. And I have two fur babies – Diesel and Mad Max – both very large Labrador retrievers

Favorite food on campus? Millers – best burgers!

Favorite BCM/Medical Center hangout? I like to walk so I either walk through Memorial Hermann on my lunch hour when it’s not hot out, or I walk through the campus – getting my steps in!