Taking care of your health is one of the most important things you can do for yourself. Baylor College of Medicine experts have plenty of tips to help you stay healthy. This month’s Health Hint capitalizes on the decluttering fad and how it may benefit your health.
Decluttering has been trending of late and there may be some health benefits – like how cleaning out your kitchen can help you make better eating choices. Here’s how to get started by using the POP method:
- Throw out any expired condiments, foods and spices. Bring the spices that you love to use to the front of the shelf.
- Transfer your salt, sugar and cereal into clear plastic containers. They may help these foods stay fresh longer.
- Skip the crisper drawer when organizing your fruits and vegetables. Move them to the refrigerator shelves that are at eye level.
- Put fresh fruits in a nice container or bowl and place front and center on the kitchen counter.
- Measure snack portions of different foods, such as fruits and vegetables, and store them in clear plastic bags or containers so that it’s easy for children and adults to grab a healthy snack from the refrigerator and pantry.”
Kristi King, registered dietitian with Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children’s Hospital
Read more nutrition tips from Baylor experts on the Baylor blog, Momentum.